Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Day I Let My Daughter Cook

Today I said yes more than no and I created some memories for my daughter. It was hard at times. Like for reals hard. But I got through it. And it was awesome.

We all know that dinnertime is the one of the craziest in any house; so the fact that my daughter wanted to wreak havoc on my kitchen after a long day of summering hard... well... I was reluctant scared to say the least.

I am a self denying control freak. I tell myself nope! I'm super chillax. Ha. Not true!! As I get older, I think it is getting worse, folks. Like, I always want to drive places; or be at the restaurant first; or host the parties; pick the menus; choose the outfits;  pick me. Love me. UGH. I am a monster!

A couple nights ago daughter #2 asks as if she can make dinner from start to finish? I had to pause. And think long and hard before I didn't do a knee jerk reaction and say no. Nope. Not today!

I swallowed hard. And I said yes!


She squealed. And said really?  She said it  way too many times and I could feel the heat raising on my neck.  Do I not let them do what they want? Do I control and not let her just be?
I pushed back the desire to ask her that... Instead I smiled and we started the planning.
I had a few stipulations - guardrails if you will:
  1. The meal needed to have healthy choices
  2. She would have to make her own grocery list 
  3. She would have to come shopping with me and put away the groceries. 

And away she went.


Pinterest luckily is always on the ready for times like this and last night it was no different. You can follow me here.

She searched for healthy easy dinner recipes, healthy dessert recipes and also an appetizer.

It all happened pretty fast! And before I could recant my yes... She had a menu.

Fruit Salsa with homemade Cinnamon Sugar Chips

Zucchini Boats

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie



We got up and went to the store. She was very organized; had her list and she was ready.  As you can see she loved the process!





I coached her along each step; giving her pointers on how to hold the knife; to move the handle from the pan towards the stove etc.

I couldn't help but hear my Grandma saying "do it my way or not at all!" I may or may not come from a long line of control freaks! However, I have learned so much from these women in my life that I tend to remember more of their passion and zest for life and how to live then anything else!

I admit (now) my Grandmother knew more than me at that time... But now I think she would realize that there is more than one way to get things done. Gasp.

As she chopped the strawberries. I cringed.   Then cheered her on and praised her precision. Although it took a long time to cut those strawberries I am proud to say she got better by the end!



Next came the awesome tortilla chips. The least healthy choice... They were so good. She nailed it!


Do you think she was having fun?!?

The zucchini boats were surprisingly easy to make and she whizzed through it. I had to show her a few times how to hold the spoon to get the insides out of the zucchini but she did very well!


Now on to the dessert my friends. So yummy and decadent and so clean. I was impressed that she went with it   She doesn't like hummus ... But this recipe calls for chickpeas. Yes, you heard me! I linked all the recipes for your enjoyment. Let us know what you think!





Dinner was a huge success. For both of us! She was very proud of herself for working as hard as she did to feed the family.  She may have told me that it is hard work cooking and cleaning all day... I just laughed!  I didn't make a comment about how I know all about that... I just let her do her thing.

It was worth it. 4 hours letting go of control in my kitchen translated into my daughter learning some cool things about herself one summer afternoon
  1. Cooking is fun 
  2. She knows how to make healthy choices
  3. Her mom is awesome 
  4. She can follow a recipe
  5. Measuring is math 
  6. It is okay to make a mess!

I am so glad I said yes to her.  I mean for all the feels... Look at her smile.

I will do my best to give her more chances to make a mess in the kitchen... Cause let's face it. She is old enough to clean it up. The right Her way!













No comments:

Post a Comment