Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2019

The Power of the Post


To Post or not to Post...


Oh boy, the infamous question, should I post it or not? Whatever your posting pleasure is... I feel that we need to stop before we post. Whether it be Facebook, (which I hear is for old people?!?!)  Insta (as the millennials are calling it) Snapchat (I am here for the filters!) or Twitter. I am no expert on posting etiquette, but my curriculum is heavy on digital citizenship and I have read books, researched and listened to enough podcasts to feel okayish to weigh in on the topic.

I should have started with this disclaimer  ***People's moral compass isn't what is in question right now, because I believe that most people are inherently good with a few minor flaws; present company including (heavy on the few)  I always do things backwards; eh, moving on.

In this day in age everyone is on line, digital dwellers or social media junkies.

I get it. The confusion happens when people are using social media for instant gratifications, bandwagoning or horn tooting. They use it to phish for attention or argue or defame a person. Now before you get crazy, I think it is important to be truthful and it's not all sunshine and rainbows all the time - but sometimes we feel bolder because of the screen. We have created this facade that words don't hurt if we type them... which in fact is the exact opposite- they spread faster and hurt more. Don't say something in a hateful post that you wouldn't say to their face; The anonymity of the internet is not anonymous... believe me.

Nothing can take the place of human face to face connection. So, in my day gig I try like hell to teach and share with my students what their digital footprint is and what it looks like. The choice is theirs and it's yours too.

What is a Digital Footprint?

Well, it is any and all information about someone and their online activity. Websites visited, emails sent, pictures posted are all captured in your virtual diary. So, unlike a diary that you can hide the key or erase something you wrote, your digital footprint is permanent.

Let me repeat that, it is permanent.

I know there is a lot of rules about what you should or shouldn't do but I am going to be honest, you go ahead and do whatever you feel comfortable with. I know I have students that follow my (social media) accounts- I do not follow them... (never a good idea)  But I think it is uber important to model the behavior that I expect from my students. I try to demonstrate good online behavior as they create their digital footprint.

I preach this to my students and I hope and pray that one day it will click.

I wasn't always this confident about my social media usage. It came with practice and hours of self loathing while I compared my life to everyone else's on social media. And then a I realized I was doing it wrong.

That was tough.

But as I figured some of my junk out, I realized that I shouldn't be using the internet to impress others but impacting them. Please don't get prickly if you share with me your daughter's achievements on the court, in the pool, on the dance floor, or in the classroom... I WANT TO CELEBRATE those victories with you and share in your joy! I simple am saying that with the wins...lets not hide the lows and alienate others.

It is about community near and far and we should foster it with truth and kindness.

In the meantime here are some tips that I use in my daily digital landscape. I share these to help navigate the social media waters that nearly wrecked me.


1. Think before you post.  
Is it helpful? GO ahead post away, be a helper... Mister Rogers said we need more of them.
2. Am I whining? Then just don't, no one likes a whiner.
3. Don't post when you are emotional. Take the time to respond not react... we all have seen something that upsets us or triggers us. Breathe, scroll past, come back later if you must.
4. Be selective. Don't overshare. This is debatable; Everyone's barometer is different but I personally love to look back at my fb memories from 8 years ago and see how much my girls have grown up or how I have evolved as digital person myself.
5. Be honest. Don't pass something off as yours, don't lie. I know aesthetics matter but honesty rules.
6. Respect the power that social media has and proceed with caution.

As you go about your daily digital life keep in mind that we are all in this together. Share, engage and connect with others. Make them laugh, lift each other up and love everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Love this SO much! Such great reminders and love your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your response and kind words. Keep shining Jess!

      Delete