Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Come On In

I sat in church today and it was like I was by myself...just me and GOD. He was telling me don't stop, don't give up. I was moved to speak with my pastor after, something that always intimidates me- only because I have such respect for him and his passion, vision and dedication to serving God.

Simply stated the service talked about community and creating your network that is always there for you and your family; for me it is most commonly known as:  my village.  It's something I have tried to put into words to my inner circle many times. All I can say is I am happiest when my home is full of my people.  It's why I am always the first to open my home...being hospitable and hosting parties and events. It comes natural to me. It's love in action.  Unless you have experienced being brought up in a village it's hard to fathom. But it is so good folks.  So good. Almost necessary.

My mom was my model for this. She knew the importance of friends and family and kept up with them all. It was even in her eulogy... that she fostered those friendships and made it a way of life to just be together and have everything and anything in common. It could be the reason they called for extra traffic control to help at her procession all those years ago...1991. SO LONG AGO. I was so young...but I got the big stuff right from her.

I was raised in a village. They shared sugar and babysitting and happy hours. Birthday parties, sports activities and carpooling. They were there for each other no matter what time it was or how dirty their homes were. I am better for it. It's not about working moms or stay at home moms; its simply about finding the people that you belong to and creating life together and showing up for each other. My girls have a village here and there...and it may look different but it feels the same.

So this was on my heart several weeks ago when I read this brilliant article, you can read here.  And then today again at church...I had to share it. I will continue to love broken human beings...because I am one. So broken. But I need my village to help me...help each other, to be okay. My daughters need to see that people open doors, open hands and open hearts to them. My husband needs to see that people are supporting us and rooting for us to be better again. 


I know its not easy to make the time for friends nowadays - but I have to. It makes me feel whole. Don't get me wrong; me and my husband communicate and laugh and yell and do all the stuff that being married to your best friend allows...but this just makes us better.  It's like the frosting on your favorite cupcake, the bacon to your eggs..the peanut butter to your jelly...the wasabi to your sushi... you get it, right?


So invite your friends to dinner or pick up the phone and tell then how you are feeling. Better yet, ask them how they are? And don't take FINE for an answer. Welcome them warmly and strengthen your friendships. Build into your village- you will be better for it...your kids will be better for it... if we love each other, no matter what...that proves that love does win. That's pretty sweet!


Picture by Furniture Gourmet





 

1 comment: