Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

No glory. Just guts

So I have this on going banter with one of my favorites about guts. You know what I mean, right? Do you have the guts to say what you mean? Or how about the guts to say, 'No, not today!'  Or the guts to say what you need and not be ashamed of it? Or how about this one: what does your gut instinct tell you?!!

Grab a drink of your choice-Or a glass of vino... Or a carafe. No judging here. 

This was a dialogue between friends in the height of the holiday hustle and bustle. And in my quest to be okay with who I am in the upcoming year- I am challenging myself not to over do ANYTHING-the timing was perfect to share some gutsy adult talk. 


"Hi! I see you. No really, I see what you're doing. Lemme tell you something.

Wait. Hold Up. Let me not tell you something.

Aren't you tired of being told what to do every day? Bombarded by advice from FB, Twitter, Pinterest, and on and on. Photoshop has ruined reality for most of us- to a point where if our Elf on the Shelf isn't being creative, then what kind of mother are we?  Or if your body isn't beach-ready then do you really deserve a vacation? What do you mean you forgot it was Ugly Sweater Day at school? Don't you read the newsletter? I can't believe you even made it out the door today. In our 'real' world.

I'm tired of it all. I can not take another single piece of advice. Please don't tell me what to wear or what not to say or how to dress my family for my cutesy fall pics for the Christmas cards that I have to mail this weekend. If I see another recipe for fudge or another 3 point schedule for squats, I will lose it!

Unless it's Grandma: then I might listen. Or you. I might throw you a side eye, but you are usually pretty right. Damn it. 

Why is that? What price are we setting on this unsolicited advice? Why can't we listen to our gut instinct anymore? I think it's because we can never find a still, small place to listen to ourselves. And that's super sad cause I'd like to think of myself as pretty smart. But even then I'm not listening to me. I'm too wrapped up in the "I should's to even pay any attention to the  "I have to's. 

We have lost our relationships with our guts. Probably somewhere between the juice fasting and the liver detoxing and the preparing freezer meals, would be my guess. Or the crafts and the decor and the homeschool curriculumn. 

Somewhere along that super long road, is our gut. Sitting with it's tiny suitcase wondering where the hell we are and when the hell are we coming back.

Go find yourself. She's lost and needs you. I have no idea how, don't even ask. I'm going to be off somewhere, backtracking on my road, eyes peeled for myself."

And then it was countered with this:

"Yes!  I hear you. Loud and clear.  But why do you love my rotten, bloated guts and not your own!?!?

They are just as awesome. You have enough guts. You are enough! 

I have a confession though... I may or may not be one of those moms doing all the stuff and seeing what every one else is doing... You know that cause I text you a bazillion times to say- did you see?!?!?  

My guts aren't original. I have all good intentions of doing my own things. But fear and shame shake my guts and say better stick to the plan. 

I guess just like you don't like to listen to your guts. I don't like to listen to my own ideas for fear that they aren't worthy or good enough. Why is that?!?!?  

Here is the deal- you need to listen to your guts  and I need to be brave and show my guts! 

In order to do that... 
You must be still!
I must be still. 

Listen to your heartbeat and the sound of your breathing and realize that you are enough! 

Our guts are so amazing, all by itself.  God gave us these guts- scared, jealous, brave, torn, cleansed, bloated whatever our guts look and feels like they are ours.  Authentic. No more denying our guts.  

So love your messy guts. I do! Be brave and take that next right step. Be still. And listen to your guts. They have a story to
tell. It's your story. Xo "

And with that I am out. Happy hump day. Love your guts. Listen to them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment