Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

Dreams Matter

Contemplate the minds of our little ones. They are so fragile,  yet strong and I take the job of teaching them very seriously. I am passionate and enthusiastic about giving them the tools to be creative and resourceful to think on their own. This past week, when I did a lesson on Martin Luther King Jr. and encouraged them to write their own I have a dream speech, I was. Blown. Away.  

I Have a Dream
By a 9 year old world changer 

I Have a Dream
That I can dance on Broadway 
That my family can be with me all my life 
That my friends grow up to be strong 
Oh I have a dream...
That all children can get a good education
That grown ups don't have to work too hard 
That people will start to make better decisions
Oh, I have a dream...
That people will find that God is with them 
That people will learn to read and write correctly
That there will be grace in our future 

Say what?? This is straight from the mouths of babes...no prompting. No start up... Just this 3rd grader. Rocking the world. Wanting her world to be full of God and Peace and Grace. Equality. Love. 

And this wasn't the only one like it. Their papers were filled with awesome dreams. Big dreams. Brave dreams.

There were dreams of healthy families, cures for "canser" and for people to take care of their dogs. There were dreams of being soccer players, forgiveness, fairness and for God's will to be done  and (wait for it) for our country to be safe and protected. 

I couldn't stand it.  I was punched in the gut by each of them. These children get it. The love thing. We as adults are still confused by it all. Why is that???

On this day, the day we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. and his dreams - my message is that every dream matters.

Continue to be brave little dreamers. Your dreams matter.  




No comments:

Post a Comment