Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Happy Places

It's Sunday night. After a weekend of running full steam ahead - I am out of gas on the couch playing the What's for Dinner  game.  And I am fine with cereal or left overs. Yes. Ice cream is perfect! 

Truth be told for several years now I have been struggling with my place in this world. Place = physical space.  Where I belong? Is this where I should be? All the while missing my roots and the familiar surroundings of the places I grew up frequenting. I find myself longing to share those places with my own family. 

I have lived in Huntington Beach, California, San Diego, Connecticut, New Jersey, Florida and finally here.  Where we have been since my oldest was 3 months old. 

Every place I have ever visited or lived I have taken a piece of it with me when my time was up there. This is the longest I have ever lived in one place since my childhood home... Ten years. It makes me happy and sad. I love the idea of a new city, unchartered territories, anonymity. Last weekend I was in Chicago and I could have stayed there.  Forever. But that is me. Just me. It isn't the married me, the mother me or the transplant me.  There's a difference. 

If you get the chance to travel, do it. If you like to stay in one place, do it. Create your own safe and happy places where ever you are.

I have some happy places that no one can take away from me... I also have a dream place that is on my and hubbies bucket list... One day we will get there. But for now I am content with this list:

1. my home
2. the beach... Salt and sand. For days. 
3. New York City ... the possibilities...the adrenaline rush.  Makes me giddy thinking about her. 
4. my bed... 
5. a loved ones embrace...nothing better than in the arms of my people. 
6. Disneyland...the memories here growing up can transport me to a happy place in 0 to 10 seconds. 

I realize that it is only six places on this countdown of intentional me but this is my dream vacation... A bungalow over the water in Maldives.

There you have it... It's not very exciting. But as I get older I realize it's not so much where I am but the people I am with. So... I would fly into an big cardboard box and hang out for days to be with my people.  

Where is your happy place?


No comments:

Post a Comment