Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Soul Food

I took yesterday off. I hope you don't mind... but in light of all the awful stuff that went on yesterday in Ferguson, I just found it not very tasteful to talk about my intentional foods. Now, I realize that food brings people together in times of joy and sadness. And maybe that's what they needed yesterday after so many were disappointed about the decision that was made. Maybe a home cooked meal, around a table with their loved ones, with not a care in the world. And then I stopped. That isn't the feeling for some of the people in the several areas protesting right now. They feel betrayed and broken and that they are not being heard. So their cares are many and their burdens are heavy.

Please don't hear what I am not saying... My heart breaks for the families of both sides. There will be an empty seat at the Thanksgiving Dinner table at the Brown's house this year. And I feel that it is safe to say that Darren Wilson and his family aren't with all of their loved ones either. Both sides are losing.

As I am preparing for my meals this week...I know a couple things for sure. Food is my drug...sad but true and I eat when I am sad, happy, angry, celebrating etc. and every other emotion...don't hate me all of my health conscious friends. It is who I am and after 41 years, I haven't been able to figure that balance out before I fizzed out over and over again. See? Serial fizzer outer!
but here is my list: love it or leave it:

1. Senapes Pitza- it reminds me of my moms hometown and it a must every time I visit. No one gets it. you eat it cold.  its square and there is no pepperoni. 
2. Lucky Charms- my very best friend and I shared many bowls in college. 
It was our go to comfort meal.
3. ice cream- it doesn't even need an explanation.
4. breakfast- eggs and bacon. and it is best when someone makes it for you...the best!
5. tomato soup and grilled cheese- if I am having a bad day serve me this and I will love you forever.



So there you have it. In times of sickness or sadness most people are longing for the kiss on the forehead , the warm blanket or  comfort food that will take them to their safe place. Remember the ones that are hurting tonight. Ones that are afraid and have lost faith in their safe place. Or maybe never had one to begin with. I pray that their souls are being fed in ways only HE can heal and forgive and protect.  As you are sitting with your loved ones sharing life and food with your family and friends be mindful of those that are missing someone. What ever the reason maybe... and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment