Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Intentionality

In the parking garage of the hotel we stood and said our goodbyes. Again. Hugged again. Said goodbye again. It was a round robin of endless goodbyes and each one hurt more.  I started crying. Then she started crying.  She being my sister... My brothers wife.  No need to attach in law. Because we are sisters. I hugged her one last time through the sobs and said we have to continue to be intentional.  And she smiled and and nodded and the tears continued to fall. I squeezed my little man one last time and heard his sweet voice sing to me saying his I love yous. 

No one said a word until we got onto I-55 towards St. Louis. The wind was ruthless and it made for a longer than normal drive. Back home.  It was blowing me back to being with those people I love. 

Being intentional is crucial to surviving the void of living away from the people you love. I'm good at it sometimes. Need to make reminders most times. And feel eternally grateful that those people I love that live far away just get me (even after months of minimal contact) all the time. 

The busy of our lives and the distance can make it hard to stay cued in but when you add intentionality it changes everything. Social media helps.  It hurts sometimes but if used right... It makes distance almost non existent and I don't miss a beat of my nephew growing up. And when he sees his uncle in the hallway of the hotel he will instantly recognize him and yell uncle dennisssssssss. (Sorry guests of the Sheraton in downtown Chicago, it was one of the sweetest moments of the whole trip!) 

So I try to create a habit of being intentional...I make lists. I brainstorm. I sketch. I write. It allows me to clear the fog in my head and return gives me the space to breathe. Writing itself is intentional. I have to sit down and write.  It's a great habit- for me. It forces you to deal with thoughts and feelings that you may not normally want to. It is freeing for me.  I can feel the warmth returning to my wings after being in a deep freeze watching the Fighting Irish in South Bend, Indiana not fight at all.  You can bet that our next intention trip will be warm!  Maybe even tropical.  

I am always blue after goodbyes. I know It is what it is. And I begin to carry on. Tonight I checked somethings off my bucket list. And I added a few things too. Intentionality.  It's a sweet way to live. 

I am going to suggest a intentional you challenge... For the next 10 days I'm going to make a list about me... You should do it too!
Day 1-10 secrets or wishes
Day 2- 9 loves
Day 3- 8 fears 
Day 4 - 7 books
Day 5 - 6 places
Day 6 - 5 foods
Day 7- 4 wants 
Day 8 - 3 songs 
Day 9 - 2 movies
Day 10 - 1 picture of yourself 

I hope you join me! I'll be humming along being intentional. 




No comments:

Post a Comment